Spicy Juicy Pear Delight
Ingredients (serves 6)
- 6 pears
- 3/4 cups white sugar
- 1½ cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 250g apricot jam
- 2 tablespoons cornflour
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/2 cup rum
- Bring 1½ cups water, sugar, and vanilla to boil in a saucepan over high heat.
- Add 3 pears and reduce the heat to medium to simmer gently until the pears have just turned tender (about 5 minutes).
- Remove the cooked pears into a serving dish and continue to cook the remaining 3 pears. Increase heat to medium-high and boil the syrup until it has reduced to 1 cup. Stir in the apricot jam and return to a boil.
- Dissolve the cornflour in 2 tablespoons of water and stir into the simmering syrup. Cook and stir until thickened and clear (about 30 seconds).
- Pour the hot sauce over the pears to serve, and sprinkle with rum.
- Carefully ignite the rum tableside with the lights turned low. Let the alcohol burn out before serving.