Carrot, Zucchini and Parsnip Slice with Pistachio Praline
- 2 tsp ginger
- 1/2 tsp allspice
- 1/2 tsp cloves
- 2 2/3 cups (400g) self-raising flour
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 cup (20g) desiccated coconut
- 1 cup (220g) caster sugar
- 100g finely chopped dried apricots
- 4 lightly beaten eggs (large)
- 400ml sunflower oil
- 1 coarsely grated zucchini, carrot & small parsnip (320g total)
Cream cheese frosting
- 400g softened cream cheese
- 100g chopped and softened unsalted butter
- 2 cups (240g) pure icing sugar, sifted
- 1/2 cup (110g) caster sugar
- 1/4 cup (35g) chopped pistachios
- Line a baking tray with foil for the pistachio praline.
- Place sugar in a frypan over high heat, shaking to a thin, even layer.
- Cook, occasionally taking the pan off to shake for 4-5 minutes or until a golden caramel forms.
- Add nuts and swirl them around to coat them.
- Pour onto a prepared tray.
- Set aside for 30 minutes to set, then crush to a rough praline.
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Grease a 22cm round cake pan and line with baking paper.
- Sift four spices and a pinch of salt into a bowl.
- Add in sugar and coconut and stir through.
- In a separate bowl, whisk egg and oil to combine.
- Stir the oil and egg mixture into the dry ingredients, then fold through grated vegetables & apricot.
- Spread mixture into prepared pan and bake for 1 hour 15 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Once finished, set aside pan to cool completely, then trim the top of the cake to level with a serrated knife.
- Microwave the cream cheese on medium for 1 minute to warm.
- Remove from the microwave and add the icing sugar and butter, and whisk until smooth (if the mix is too loose, chill for 15 minutes).
- Spread frosting over cake and scatter with praline to serve.