Blissful Blackberry Chocolate Dessert Cake
250g butter, chopped
250g good-quality dark chocolate, roughly chopped
1/3 cup milk
1 cup caster sugar
4 eggs, at room temperature, seperated
1/3 cup plain flour
150g frozen blackberries
Solid chocolate Easter eggs, to serve
Extra blackberries, to serve
Cocoa powder, to serve
1. Preheat oven to 200c. Grease and line a 23cm (base) springform pan with baking paper. Melt butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Set aside.
2. Combine chocolate and milk in a large heatproof bowl. Place over a saucepan of simmering water (don't let base of bowl touch water). Heat, stirring with a metal spoon, until melted and smooth. Using an electric hand mixer, beat in sugar. Remove bowl from heat. Set aside for 10 minutes to cool slightly.
3. Add egg yolks, 1 at a time, to chocolate mixture, beating well after each addition. Add melted butter. Stir until combined.
4. Sift flour over chocolate mixture. Gently fold in. Whisk eggwhites in a separate bowl until soft peaks form. Gently fold into chocolate mixture. Sprinkle over blackberries. Gently fold in until combined.
5. Spoon mixture into prepared pan. Bake for 15 minutes or until risen. Reduce oven to 160c. Bake for a further 50 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Leave to cool completely in pan (don't worry if cake sinks in centre).
6. Place cake onto a serving plate. Decorate with chocolate eggs and blackberries. Dust with cocoa. Serve slices with mascarpone or thick cream, if desired.